When people change their avatars they don’t understand how much of an effect that has on how I see your posts and your interactions with me. You are your profile picture, I mean Tumblr is even designed to make it look look like all the posts are speech bubbles coming from your avatar.
Therefore, you! Yes, you! You are definitely Richard Armitage.
And you there, you’re Batman.
And that person over there is a pair of talking boobs. For some reason. Look, I don’t make the rules.
The thing about this is that sculptures like these in art history were for the male gaze. Photoshop a phone to it and suddenly she’s seen as vain and conceited. That’s why I’m 100% for selfie culture because apparently men can gawk at women but when we realize how beautiful we are we’re suddenly full of ourselves…
…while “the female gaze” is attracted by things like a naked, sweaty Chris Evans or Idris Elba, it’s also attracted by things like: men smiling in sweaters, men crying (DON’T LIE TUMBLR), barefoot fragile Sebastian Stan in the rain on Political Animals, men holding babies, men speaking foreign languages, Mark Ruffalo, and a whole bunch of weird stuff on Ao3 that I don’t even wanna get into. And that’s just “the female gaze as it pertains to men.”
Rules: In a text post, list ten fics that have stayed with you in some way. Don’t take but a few minutes, and don’t think too hard — they don’t have to be the “right” works, or even all the same pairing or fandom, just the fics that have touched you or that stuck with you somehow. Tag ten friends, including me, so I’ll see your list. Make sure you let your friends know you’ve tagged them! The lovely hedwig-dordt tagged me : )
When I try to think of fics that have stayed with me the longest, my brain defaults to my first fandom of Harry Potter, so that’s where these come from! But sometimes a nostalgic read is the best. So since I’m sure there are tons from my current fandoms, this is something different.
1.The Tea Series by Telanu. This is a gloriously long- 369,173 words- compelling series. It is Harry/Snape, set during the last few Hogwarts years but it isn’t creepy, I swear! Slow build, tons of pov explanations and consent. Definitely worth a read!
2. Beautiful World by Cinnamon. This is the official link but it’s old, and the formatting has gone a bit wonky. Still, leave reviews there. This is the link to the story in google doc form. Harry/Draco, and my default story when I’m in the mood to have my heart ripped out of my chest. This is beautiful and painful. Draco is afraid of living and Harry is afraid of dying, but sometimes the choice isn’t offered. I adore this story crazy amounts!
3. Draco Malfoy and the Heart of Slytherin. by Saber_Shadowkitten. Harry/Draco, slow building friends-to-lovers fic with a very cool take on the way magic works. Draco is stuck spending a summer with Harry at the Dursley’s. No sex and only maybe two kisses in this fic, and it is amazing if you are in a gen mood.
4. Eight Ways From Sunday by Clio Primarily Seamus/Dean, with Harry/Hermione, Ron/Padma, and Draco/Ginny. This is just a wonderful fic- the banter is realistic, and they are all doing actual teenager things. Plus, Seamus/Dean!
5. Windfallen by Cinnamon. This is the official link for reviews, but again This is a google doc version that works. Harry/Draco, and DARK AS HELL. So, warnings for major character death and rape. Still, this story is a well-written and compelling ‘what if Voldemort was winning’ fic. If you like dark fic, you’ll enjoy this.
6. Checkmate by Naadi. On the opposite end of the spectrum this is fluffy as hell. A Harry/Draco getting together fic with lots of general sweetness.
7. Left My Heart by emmagrant01. I know most of you know her for ACFB, but I have adored her writing since her Harry Potter days and this series is gorgeous and deserves as much love! Harry/Draco. Auror Draco Malfoy has disappeared, and Harry Potter has been sent to San Francisco to find him. Just give it a try, you’ll love it!
8. Transfigurations by Resonant. Harry/Draco, futurefic where five years after Voldemort’s defeat, Harry comes back to help rebuild Hogwarts. Lovely relationship-building fic.
9. The Courtship of Harry Potter by Diana. Harry/Snape. Courtship trope, with competition for Harry, and Snape being very Snapish- need I say more?
10. Irresistible Poison by Rhyssen. The first fanfic I ever read! This story is responsible for my landing hear today, people. And it is sweet and adorable. I swear all the ancient links are broken or wonky, so here is the official link but here is a google doc link. Harry/Draco, love potion fic. Love it!
Okay, that took forever so hopefully you find something new to love! I’m tagging: badwolfbadwolff , marlowe-tops, drgrlfriend, bootsnblossoms, qcumbershaw, fridatwin, hellooooo-nurse, randomingoftherandomness, imaginedmelody, mrsteller00q, anneincolor, and whoever else thinks this would be fun! I love new fic recs!